Friday, March 25, 2011

A Heavy Heart mixed with Delight

Evie's Birthday Celebration Picnic
March 25, 2011

Evie's Garden

As many of you know, our dear friends Jonathan and Alicia lost their sweet precious Evie Grace last December. It's been a tough 3 months for them but yesterday had to definitely be one of the harder days for sure. Yesterday was the girls' 2nd birthday.

I started the week off both anxious and sad because I knew how hard it was going to be for Alicia and J. Finally Friday came. I woke up that morning with such a heavy, heavy heart. I mean I just ache for them both and of course for sweet little Ramsey. She is such a delight.

Maybe that's why God put that word at the forefront of my mind yesterday.

Delight? Yes, delight.

Why on earth of all days, would He want me to think "delight?" Why not...grief, sadness, or unfairness? Because He is God. And He is always trying to show us the good in all things. Even things we can't seem to understand or wrap our minds around. So because I was a little confused I simply looked up the word "delight" in the concordance of my Bible for some clarity.

And just like that. Click! Light bulb turned on. I found several verses that really seemed to make sense and speak volumes to me.

You do not stay angry forever
but delight to show mercy
-Micah 7: 18

The Lord you God is with you,
he is mighty to save,
He will take great delight in you,
he will quiet you with his love,
he will rejoice over you with singing
-Zephaniah 3:17

That is why, for Christ's sake,
I delight in weakness,
in insults,
in hardships,
in persecutions,
in difficulties.
For when I am weak, then I am strong
- 2 Corinthians 12:10

Here is my servant whom I have chosen,
the one I love, in whom I delight
- Matthew 12:18
(When I read this one in particular - I instantly thought of Evie)

You see, even though yesterday - March 25th - was somewhat sad and bittersweet for everybody; it was also a day to delight in. Evie Grace is, was, and will always be the definition of delight. I think everybody who knew her would most definitely agree. And now she has the honor of serving as a delight to our Heavenly Father. Oh, how I know He delights in her:)

So in honor and remembrance of her birthday Alicia and J invited some of us to have a picnic lunch at Memorial Park where she is buried. We ate lunch at "Evie's Garden" - as Alicia likes to call it now (which I think fits perfectly). The associate pastor at their church said a few words, read some encouraging scripture, and then had a special prayer for Evie and the Harrisons. We sang Happy Birthday to Evie, and then released pink balloons to celebrate the special occasion. It was with no coincidence - very delightful!


Buddy getting ready to send his balloon to Evie

Happy Birthday sweet girl! Hope you like your pretty pink balloons!

Daddy and Ramsey watching the balloons

And Ramsey...well that little stink fish has really turned into such a delight! Yes, she did just turn 2 and we all know what a challenge 2 yr olds can be sometimes but you should see her - she is just so stinkin' sweet. I mean, look at her!


I love how she says "erica-hudson" when she sees us or when Alicia makes the turn down our street. I literally melt when she lets me hold her b/c it seems as though Evie was always the one to warm up to me first. I love how she gets shy and embarrassed being the center of attention (like her mama). And I love what a delight she is to her parents. Despite the hardships they've had to endure, the Lord clearly delights over this entire family. And I'm so grateful that he assured me how he does it:)

We love you sweet, special, delightful Evie girl!
Happy Birthday!

2 comments:

  1. This is such a precious post. I don't know this family, but my heart aches for them. But what comfort we have in the Word. So thankful for how God showed himself to you through it. There is nothing--nothing--like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post, and so well written! I was also aching on Friday knowing what a tough day it would be for the Harrisons. I am so glad that they have friends like you right there to lift them up and support them every single day.

    ReplyDelete