Wednesday, May 2, 2012

~ Baby Things ~

So awhile back my friend Kelley posted on her blog 5 baby things she couldn't live without and also the 5 she definitely didn't need or use. And because the good old due date is quickly approaching and I have yet to do absolutely NOTHING to prepare for this baby's arrival...

I thought I'd post about the same thing and get some opinions from all of you professional mommies out there. Keep in mind this is only our second go-around so I still feel like I'm in that "honeymoon stage" where every baby item naturally seems essential. Because it is right?!? I'm that consumer.

TOP 5 THINGS you couldn't live without? Here are mine - -

1. Video Monitor



It's #1 for a reason. I have really enjoyed having this around. I feel like it's super helpful and gives me an unbelievable peace of mind knowing not only that I can hear Hudson but also see him during nap and night time. The question now is: do we buy another and have one for each child? Get Hudson just a cheap sound monitor and keep the video monitor on new baby? Or just use the additional camera we have with the video monitor and switch back and forth from channel a to b throughout the night? Decisions, decisions...


2. Sound Machine


Oh, how I could not live without this one! Micah and I even have one that we use during the night and I feel weird sleeping without it. This was top on my list mainly b/c in our old house (it was a lot smaller and open concept) we needed something to block out sound in order for Hudson to rest peacefully. Only problem is...I think we've trained him to not be able to sleep without it so I basically take it everywhere I go. Vacation, school, yes even in the car. I'm pyscho I know but this particular sound machine is small and easy to tote around. You can pop some double A batteries in the bottom and take it anywhere or it can be plugged up into an outlet. Genius!



3. SwaddleMe Wrap/Miracle Blanket


This one I was unsure of in the beginning. However, Hudson ended up L-O-V-I-N-G it and he took well to being swaddled tightly and was a great sleeper from the start. In our opinion both brands/styles worked exactly the same. The Miracle Blanket is a lot more expensive and definitely more complicated to use/wrap. Seriously, it's like a straight jacket for babies. You may get quite a few odd looks and comments when using it - I sure did - but whatever works right? I realize every baby is different so who's to say #2 will be a huge fan like Hudson was but it definitely was a success the first time around.


4. Baby Swing


Hudson really enjoyed the swing. Not so much the bouncy seat. Hopefully this new baby will also be a fan. He took A LOT of naps in this thing in the beginning. Sweet memories:) 



5. Baby Walker
So much fun! This thing was a life saver before Buddy learned how to walk. I would take it outside with me and he would go up and down the driveway a million times just laughing and smiling. I have no idea if using this helps children learn to walk or not, but I do know our child started walking right after his first birthday....connection or no connection I still found it very useful and plan on using it again this time around. 


TOP 5 THINGS I didn't really need - -
1. Gas Drops - I could never tell if they worked or not? I did use them but again who knows if they made a difference. 

2. Wipe Warmer - Ended up taking this back. I didn't really see the need and I didn't want to get Hudson used to having warm wipes on his bottom b/c well, I couldn't exactly take it with me on the go. 

3. Moses Basket - I was so thankful to receive a beautiful Moses Basket as a gift; however, Hudson was NOT a fan and would not sleep in the thing no matter how many times I tried! Maybe June Bug baby will like it? 

4. A million different sippy cups - I tried them all. My conclusion. Go with the Playtex cups b/c they DO NOT LEAK!

5. A Bouncy Seat - I love the idea and honestly thought I'd use this more than any other baby item but for whatever reason Hudson just didn't really take to it. He'd last a good 15 minutes or so and was not impressed by the vibration or sounds it made. 

Ok, your turn. Let me know what things you absolutely love and could not do life without and of course those things that you found you really didn't need or use. Go!!!


3 comments:

  1. not sure what kind or IF you used a carrier (Bjorn, Ergo etc...) with Hudson but the thing I wish I had now is a carrier that can go from front to back. With two little creatures to keep up with it's alot easier to have one attached to you! We are going to Colorado this summer. Rett is 19 months and still I plan to borrow a friend's carrier and put him on my back while we go places. You'll find (i think) that hudson will want to walk places with you and it will be easier than having a stroller. that's my 2 cents. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely go with the second camera. And I'm going to have to get that sound machine. Allie has the sleep sheep, which I love, but it only stays on for like 30 minutes, so I have to turn it back on every time I go in there. She does love her glow worm (seahorse) though, it lights up and plays music and it always puts her to sleep. We haven't used a walker, might have to invest in one though. We do use a wipe warmer, but I probably wouldn't buy one again. We used our bouncy seat, but only when I was taking a shower, Allie wasn't too crazy about the vibrating either. And last but not least, sippy cups, so far the only one Allie will take is the NUK, and it doesn't leak either.

    Ok that's all I have. Love you, Huddy, and baby Miller!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny because we would not have survived without the bouncy seat and gas drops. E slept in the bouncy seat the first 6 weeks of his life :) I would definitely recommend the Bjourn if you do not have a carrier. It was handy with one so it has to be handy with two! I am dying to know if baby Miller is a he or she :) Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete