Thursday, March 29, 2012

Kitchen Reno *Preview*

So for my birthday my super sweet husband said I could redo our kitchen. This was one of the features of our home that we were excited about when we initially bought - the potential, that is. We were never in love with the existing kitchen or anything but felt like it had a nice layout and plenty of space.

So the planning began. Lots of calling around, getting different quotes, searching the internet, blah, blah, blah. I decided I wanted to paint the existing cabinets and replace the countertops with granite. I also knew I wanted to paint the walls of the kitchen and do new hardware. Micah is so good about "seeing the potential" and he suggested removing the microwave above the cooktop and adding a built-in wooden ventahood. It adds a nice touch I think.

We are still waiting on some of the new appliances to arrive and I also still have to decide on the backsplash. Last on the list is getting a new kitchen table. We will probably order one from my mom since she works at a furniture store but one step at a time.

Anyway here are a few before and after pics. I'll post the finished product once all is complete.

before any renovation started....



just felt dark with the dark hardwoods and cherry cabinets


island with gold prep sink 
p.s. all the fixtures and hardware in our house are gold/brass


and now a preview for the after....

ahh, feels cleaner and looks much better i think


we decided on a creamy white for the cabinets w/ dark brown stain
and went 2-tone on the granite. 


new hardware on cabinets


Here's where we replaced the microwave and did the build-in ventahood
Please excuse the giant hole in the wall - micah started pulling off the old tile 
and it started pulling off the sheet rock. Awesome! 
And since our cooktop isn't in yet, the granite people have to come back and cut the hole for it 



And there's a sneak peek for those who have been asking to see it. It was a huge undertaking but well worth it I do believe. We are very happy with how everything turned out!!!

2 comments: