Monday, June 13, 2011

Walk by Faith

Our women's bible study is currently in a 6 week series of "Lessons On Demand" from some of our favs, Beth Moore, Priscilla Shirer, Vickie Courtney, and the list goes on. Last week we heard from Jennifer Rothschild. I had never heard of her before, but wow is she something!

Last week's lesson focused on Walking by Faith, not by Sight. Several points that were made hit home for me and conjured up a good ole dose of conviction. Let me try to recap. Start by asking yourself, "Am I"....
                         
          Walking by Faith                              
  • willing to take a step                     
  • follows God - gives up control
  • responds with thankfulness
  • perseveres, endures
  • guided by truth
  • willing to wait on God
         Walking by Sight
  • usually plays it safe
  • seizes control
  • responds with bitterness and anger
  • quits
  • influenced by feelings
  • waits on things from God
I'd like to say that I without-a-doubt responded to everything under Column 1 - Walking by Faith. But the truth is, sadly, I agreed with pretty much everything under Column 2 - Walking by Sight. 

You see, I definitely in almost all situations tend to "play it safe." I am the opposite of a risk taker. Strike 1 for me. 

Seizes Control. Check! I like to be in control. By nature, I am a planner. I like routine. I like a schedule. I like having my child on a schedule and routine. It makes me feel good. 

When things don't go my way most of the time I respond in anger and bitterness. And annoyance. I don't like it when things don't go "my way." 

Quits - this one stumped me. I don't really see myself as a quitter but I can think of times in my life when that was the case. 

Influenced by feelings. Hello! I am a GIRL! When are we not driven by emotions?

Waits on things from God. Unfortunately yes. I have this mentality a lot of times that if I do _____ then God will bless me with _______. 

So basically last week was a REALITY CHECK for me. You see, I thought of myself as one of those people that typically always walks by faith but thankfully the Lord brought it to my attention that sometimes - a lot of times - I don't. This is clearly something I need to work on. I'm pretty sure the big guy upstairs intended for me to hear this particular message and I'm so thankful He put it on my heart.

Some other points that were made...
1) it can be well with your SOUL even it's not well with your circumstances. AMEN! 
2) being controlled by your circumstances is walking by SIGHT. 
3) God is your GUIDE when you walk by faith. Much like a blind person needs a walking cane or seeing-eye dog as their guide, our Lord is there as our guide each and every day when we choose to walk by faith. 

I want to be someone who is defined by those things in Column 1. My desire and prayer is to be more willing to walk by faith. Because in all honesty, I don't think this is something that poof! happens overnight. It's most definitely a work in progress. It takes time, devotion, prayer, the right attitude and a heart for Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment