Friday, December 23, 2011

Year End Book Review

because I'm such a reader....hardly, but I did manage to read a handful of entertaining and inspirational books this year. And I thought I'd share a few of my favorites. In no particular order --

The Help
I mean, unless you lived under a rock or away from planet earth this year you have probably heard of this little book by Kathryn Stockett. And if you haven't heard of the novel then you have probably seen or heard of the movie, The Help. Both are very good. If you haven't read the story or seen the film...Go, go, go now!! Such an eye-opening and inspirational story. 
A+

Any book by Christian author, Karen Kingsbury
Thus far, I've read the entire Redemption series (book 1 out of 5 pictured above). My friend Hayley W. turned me on to these incredibly uplifting books. Karen Kingsbury is a fictional Christian author and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say any girl would appreciate a good storyline/drama like the one KK presents in these novels. Addicting? Y-E-S!!! Just ask my husband. He's had to put up with me toting these books around for months. I have now moved on to her second series, the Firstborn series, and I must say KK's got it going on! Not disappointed at all:) 
A++


The Story
The Bible as one continued story of God and His People
The Story. Heard about it from Christian author and speaker, Angie Smith. Saw it at Lifeway one day and it caught my attention - mainly because of what it is. It's the Bible told as a story, in a novel form, from beginning to end. Who wouldn't like that? I mean, this is right up my alley. To be honest, unless I'm involved in a bible study or focused on a particular topic or story, it's difficult for me to just pick up my bible and start reading. Because, well...where do I start? Old testament? New testament? I think I've pretty much read the entire bible throughout but it's taken years. Yes, years. And I must say this book is an easy read, it's entertaining, it's inspirational, it's rich with history, it's the story of God and His people in an easy-to-understand-and-comprehend kind of way. Perfect for people like me! 
A+


So, there you have it. Just my opinion but again I would encourage everyone to read any of these books. They are all so wonderful!!! 

3 comments:

  1. Love a good book review! Thanks! Have beenreally wanting to read The Help and can't seem to find time...am refusing to watch the movie until I do! And I love Karen Kingsbury...haven't read this series though so I'll have to check it out. Another one of my favorite Christian fiction authors is Francine Rivers...have you read anything by her? If not, you definitely need to read Redeeming Love and her Mark of the Lion series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell Micah to ask Kyle just how obsessed I was with Karen Kingsbury! I read the first 2 series in a few months and then I had to quit bc I was getting too involved with these people! My house was totally falling by the wayside b/c all I wanted to do was read about the Baxters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may need to borrow some of these, especially The Story, I need the Bible broken down in Julie terms. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete